Please select a section you’d like to review: Symptoms FAQs | Office Info FAQs | General Info FAQs

Symptoms FAQs

Why do I need a colonoscopy or upper endoscopy?

When a disease process is suspected in the stomach, small intestine or colon, it may be necessary to directly visualize and obtain biopsies from the site to determine if an illness is present.

Do I really need a Colonoscopy?

There are many conditions that can only be fully explained fully with a colonoscopy. The doctor will review these situations along with the specific reasons why during the visit.

What are some symptoms that might warrant a visit?

Changes in appetite, difficulty or pain when swallowing, unexplained weight loss, a sensation of being full after small amounts of food is eaten, repeated vomiting, vomiting blood, jaundice (sudden yellowish coloration to whites of the eyes), bleeding from the rectum, sudden change in bowel habit (constipation or diarrhea), painful bowel movement or change in the calibre of bowel movements are among the numerous symptoms that should be investigated.

When should I be screened for cancer?

In general, 50 is considered the appropriate age to begin screening for colon cancer with a colonoscopy. If there is a family history of colon cancer, it is important to start having colonoscopies at a younger age. Whether you need to start the screening at 50 r at a younger age is something that has to be reviewed with the physician.

Office Info FAQs

What training does Dr. Orbuch have?

Dr. Orbuch trained at The New York University Medical Center in Internal Medicine, Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington DC and The National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland for Gastroenterology and Hepatology.

What procedures does Dr. Orbuch do?

Dr Orbuch performs colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, push enteroscopy (endoscopy of the small intestine) and sigmoidoscopy (a shorter examination of the rectum and end of the colon). He also performs band ligation of esophageal varices, treatment for bleeding from the colon and bleeding from stomach ulcers or other causes.

He also performs endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) of superficial dysplasias and cancer of the stomach and endoscopic therapy to eradicate Barrett’s esophagus.

Will my insurance cover a colonoscopy or upper endoscopy?

With a valid diagnosis, the colonoscopy or upper endoscopy is covered under your insurance, less any in-network deductibles or co-pays as specified by your insurance plan. Dr. Orbuch participates in all major insurance plans as an in-network provider.

Where are you located?

Dr. Orbuch sees patients at the following location:

202 Spring Street, 2nd floor;
entrance at 90 Sullivan Street.

One block east of the Spring St. Station of the “C” and “E” lines, a 5 minutes walk from the Prince St. Station of the “N” and “R” lines and 10 minute walk from the Spring St. Station of the 6 line.

Endoscopies are performed in a certified endoscopy suite at 480 Second Avenue, between 26th and 27th Streets or at the ambulatory endoscopy suites of NYU/Langone Medical Center and The Mount Sinai Medical Center as indicated by the specialized test needed.

How do I schedule an appointment?

For appointments at the SoHo office on Spring Street, please call 212.343.3040 ext 5 or 800.827.1799.

What are your office hours?

Monday: 9:30- 5:00
Wednesday: 9:30- 5:00
Thursday: 9:30- 5:00
Friday: 10:00- 2:00

General FAQs

What is a gastroenterologist?

A gastroenterologist is a physician trained initially in Internal Medicine and additionally and for several years in Gastroenterology (diseases of the digestive tract and pancreas) and Hepatology (diseases of the liver).

Why should I choose a gastroenterologist to perform my procedure?

A gastroenterologist undergoes specialized training to perform these procedures expertly and safely. It takes several years to become qualified. The gastroenterologist is best able to recognize potentially life-threatening conditions that may be tough to recognize by others.